Re: Re: Charms for friends

From: Mike Holmes <mike_c_holmes_at_...>
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2005 14:41:34 -0600

>From: Tony Davis <gallows_brother_at_...>
>
>It doesn't seem like there's a good reason to stop
>people though.� If you're in a situation where it's
>reasonable to do it, you do it.�

Well that's tautological. So I can't refute it.

>There are places in my game where the farmers worship
>at their Churches by day and go out to perform
>Barntar's rites by night.� Think about all of the
>'pagan' influence most of the holidays we celebrate
>have.

And think about the church saying that those people are Apostate. In Glorantha, the church is right, and those people do not recieve the blessings of God. At least according to canon.

>Do any of you have friends from other religions?� Have
>you gone to their ceremonies and performed their
>rites?� Did you get anything out of it?

Well, any magic? Can't say so honestly. Though I do think that there's a philosophical truth to syncretism. That said, according to Gloranthan canon, the closest you can get to that is being a God Learner.

>If you have a friend you are close to who worships The
>Sun or Horses or whatever, and you get invited to go
>to church with him... you have a choice... go to
>church or not.� It's up to you.

Sure, and it's up to the diety in question as to whether or not to bless you (or otherwise bestow magic on you). I won't make any pronouncements for the real world for certain. But as Glorantha is a fiction created by Greg Stafford, apparently we know with certainty in that world that the gods are agin' this sort of thing. Generally.

Things were probably easier before the God Learners got all of em riled up about protecting their identities (he said, not really knowing a damn thing about it). :-)

Mike