Re: Re: Charms for friends

From: Mike Holmes <mike_c_holmes_at_...>
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2005 14:52:29 -0600

OK, now, after playing Devil's Advocate (hmm, that makes Greg the devil...), I'll turn on him with a question. Actually I've hit this before, but this is from a slightly new POV.

If gods are so darned determined to be sure that a character is not worshipping anyone else but themeselves or their allies, if they can look that closely into a character's heart to see that he's worthy by these very technical rules of worship, then why is it that they don't prevent people from worshipping them incorrectly?

That is, apparently Humakt thinks that it's more important to allow the Praxians to worship him as Sword Man, than to take the small steps neccessary to tell them that he's not a spirit. Like simply not giving them magic. Humakt has got to know that they're doing it wrong, dancing some sword dance, and not sacrificing like they should. And that these followers are, therefore, not as capable as his other followers who he's got working the right way.

So why doesn't he just give some leader a vision when they breach the otherworld using their ecstatic ritual and show the myth of how he's supposed to be worshipped?

To go back to Devil's Advocate for a moment, if I understand correctly, it's because Humakt really doesn't change or do anything, right? He's immobile as part of the compromise. So it's just a question of what the people looking at him see? Is that it?

But, then...how do they "disapprove" of anyone?

Mike