RE: Adepts & multiple spell use

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2005 00:27:12 +1300

At 08:44 AM 11/26/2005 +0000, you wrote:

>Look, suppose I have Mrs Beeton's Grimoire of Cookery. The mundane ability I
>want to augment is "make dinner". So I use a spell called "soup", a spell
>called "roast beef", a few about vegetables, and an extra for pudding. Yes,
>I start them off one at a time, but I'm using "boil carrots" while "roast
>beef" is still going.

>In what way does this picture not match the use of a grimoire?

I'll leave aside the mundane quibbles (such as "roast beef" etc being too narrow a spell) as it won't help.

My thinking is that when you are applying a grimoire to a specific task (in this case make dinner), you are applying the whole body of knowledge contained in the grimoire to that task. Although you may choose a primary spell, the other spells are cast if helpful to that task. The total effect is based on your skill in reading of the grimoire.

If you have a grimoire and a kitchen utensil (let us say the Hand Spatula of Doom), then the spatula can confer its magical power separately from the grimoire.

--Peter Metcalfe