Re: Adepts & multiple spell use

From: Tim Ellis <tim_at_...>
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2005 23:39:41 -0000

Being too lazy to wander upstairs to check the rulebook, but I'm not sure this is necessarily the case in HQ - I think HW made it easier to extend the duration of a Sorcery spell, but ISTR HQ just has a single table. (Liturgists blessings, however tend to last a whole week by default...)

>>Does that mean the Grimoire is "engaged" until the spell is over?
>
> No.

or maybe Yes depending on what else you're trying to do.

You are using your Mrs Beeton Grimoire to prepare a sumptuous banquet for dinner, and (one of) the spells you use says "Marinate for 24 Hours)" You can't use your Grimoire to add an additional augment to your "Make Dinner" skill. If on the other hand, you want to whip up an omlette for lunch you can use the grimoire to augment your "Prepare lunch" skill

Really this is no different for the Adept studying Mrs Beeton's Grimoire from the Theist worshipping the Domestic Goddess, Nigella. You may know many feats from her "Cooking" affinity, but you can only augment a roll with one of them at any one time. (which is why a narrow focus deity with overlapping affinities is more powerful within that narrow focus).

Where the Adept scores is that by learning the spells individually, and creating one or more talismans for them they can use multiple spells to augment a single roll.