Re: Adepts & multiple spell use

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2005 16:08:57 +1300

At 10:21 AM 11/26/2005 -0800, you wrote:

>Sorcerers make connections between a physical object and an Otherworld Node.
>A talisman is such a connection, as is a Grimoire. (This is why a Sorcerer
>can't cast spells without either a Talisman or Grimoire).

I differ.

The Talismans and the Grimoires are the current methods of casting spells but in the mythical times, according to Arcane Lore, the Malkioni had six ways of casting magic: Abstract Thought, Speech, Writing, Artifacts, Exploration and Water.

It's easy to say that Grimoires are from the Writing school of magic and that Talismans are from the Artifact school of magic but nothing is ever so simple. For a grimoire to be effective, it must be attuned to the spell node (which suggests the Artifact school) via a portal of power (which suggests the Exploration School). To be cast, the spell has to be intoned (Speech) while the Grimoire is devoted to a class of spells (Abstract Thought). To provide completeness, one could suggest that the ink in which the grimoire was written had to be magically treated (Water).

So what's happened? From having six traditions of six magics, the Malkioni now have a fused school of only one (there is, I grant, the orderlies and liturgists but I won't discuss that now). Clearly given that this method is shared by all known Malkioni, the God Learners are to blame. At the same time, the Carmanians know of Grimoires which suggests a complex history.

My thinking is that during the Dawn, the Malkioni practiced the six schools of magic. The change came when Arkat discovered the secrets of heroquesting. The first thing he heroquested for was not hidden plunder of the Gods but ways to unify the splintered frameworks of Malkioni magic. In his wake, the Malkioni
experimented with different fusions of magic until the Grimoire was invented.

Are the Old Schools of Magic lost? No. The Malkioni know of the ancient ways but simply find the grimoires the easiest path to sorcery. That said, the Old Schools are still around if one knows where to look.

ARCANE THEOREMS: Five Elemental Theorems and Twelve Power Theorems are known (although others are possible). The theorems are actual links to the spell nodes carried around within the head and hence are more difficult than grimoires to learn. Furthermore the theorem cannot be used for magic unless the theorist has learned or researched a spell to apply a specific effect.

WORDS OF POWER: are spells that are spoken orally. They are more difficult than the HeroQuest sorcery spells because the magician must conjure a temporary path from the spell node.

RUNES: are spells formed through the combinations of runes. These can range from patterns carved in the ground or actual rune-carved stones used. Powerful magicians can simply draw runes of energy in the air through thought or gesticulation.

MONASTERIES stem from the same magical technology that gave rise to the Talismans. But while a Talisman embodies a path to the spell node, the Monastery embodies a path to the spell node within the monks that live within it. A monk can cast a spell by simply willing it although he (or more rarely she) requires lengthy stays in the monastery.

PILGRIMS: since the world was thoroughly explored during the Golden Age, the ancient exploration magics gradually faded away or was turned to evil purposes. The sole lawful use left is pilgrimage. The act of travelling to a holy place is an act of spiritual transformation that is consummated when the Pilgrim reaches his journey. Experienced Pilgrims can journey between the planes and the ultimate aim is Solace.

GRAILS AND FONTS: The landed Malkioni still retain knowledge of the ancient Waertagi traditions for a different purpose. Where the Waertagi used spells to steer their ships to their chosen waters, the Magician uses similar spells to transform waters within their chosen vessel (a grail or a cauldron) into their chosen magical elixir. An elixir can be given to others conferring upon them selected spell effects. A related magic is to anoint or immerse people with the chosen elixir.

--Peter Metcalfe