RE: Re: Any combat rules variants?

From: COPPEAU, Jean-Christophe <Jean-Christophe.COPPEAU_at_...>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 19:49:24 +0200

	-----Original Message-----

	Several good points there.  I think we have a difference in playing
	style.  Regarding the hurts:  I always liked the fact that in RQ,
	even a vastly overmatched opponent had a chance to land a telling
	blow.  I remember many occasions where cocky heroes were brought low

	by trollkin bands, rubble runners or the like, and it became and
	interesting plot twist, raising the level of drama and forcing the
	heroes to determine a different approach.

First, I must say that I am confident about the fact that my players will continue to throw me some 20 with their dices at interesting time.

I have mixed feelings about this point you raise. This sort of chance which made a combat have some unexpected course was interesting from time to time, but usually we found that what should have been a quick fix was lasting far too long and disrupting too much the course of actions my players wanted. What I like here is that I can make ' the utter randomness ' if I choose by applying the multiple attackers/defenders modifiers. Then surprises will arise, but always at an appropriate time. For the little fights I put from time to time they will be quickly dealt, but will help me build the pressure, as they will occure at an increasing rate, and as the players will always wonder if this new fight they are coming in will be as easy as the last one or if it will prove to harsh. When it happens, they will remember the past fights. More, these little skirmishes justify their heroes' status, and my greatest hope is that My Player Who Shall Not Be Named will finally understand that he does not need to be paranoid and over careful all the time.

The Frenchy ;-)²