Re: Re: Enhancement/augmentation; mounts

From: Wulf Corbett <wulfc_at_...>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 19:07:42 +0100

On Wed, 31 May 2000 10:40:02 -0700, David Dunham <dunham_at_...> wrote:

>I don't like the idea of automatic bonuses myself, I think it's too
>advantageous for the abilities involved.

It's a hell of a lot quicker though. Augmentation is too roll-intensive for the flow of HW. If 4-5 people decide to boost themselves before a fight, you could have over a dozen opposed rolls to make, plus everyone trying to decide just what degree of risk to take. Ruins the flow of things, it would feel more like RQ. Make the automatic bonus low enough, and it's no vast advantage, plus anyone can still try and push it with a rolled augment. Besides, I agree with others that the penalty chance is way too high - over 30% chance with a 17 vs. 5! I give an automatic 1-level (+1 bonus or +2 edge) per full 10 points of ability or affinity. Starts off very generous (gives the starter characters a boost), ends up ever more stingy as you improve.

Wulf