Re: Combat Rules

From: Lightcastle <light_castle_at_...>
Date: Sun, 4 Dec 2005 00:04:17 -0500

On Saturday 03 December 2005 8:30 pm, CJ wrote:

> And yes I have read the FAQs in case you were wondering, I'm just dim
> with rules.

Bah. You aren't dim. :)
LOTS of the rules for HQ are confusing until you wrap your head around how things work. Jane's example is a wonderful one, pointing out how everything depends on how you frame the contest.

(For instance, I still have trouble deciding how much mechanical advantage to give something vs. AP advantage. Or do both count? -- To use your example: Rurik decides that Conan's Iron sword is WAY too much of an advantage. So on his turn, he decides to disarm Conan.  He bids high (that's a pretty daring action), and wins.

So: Conan loses the AP and the use of his sword (changing what skills and bonuses he can use).

But: Changing weapons is considered an unrelated action, so for a long time I thought that maybe trying to disarm someone should be considered an unrelated action, too.

It's not obvious. (At least, not to me.)

LC