Re: Combat rules question.

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Sun, 4 Dec 2005 11:33:10 -0800

CJ

>RURIK attacks CONAN. I work out sword skill + sword equipment.
>CONAN defends with Sword +armour +shield
>CONAN attacks RURIK. I work out sword skill + sword equipment.
>RURIK defends with Sword +armour +shield
>
>They use the same AP pool derived from the first skill, here RURIKS
>attack and CONANS defence.

IMO you're doing too much work here. When we run combat, we figure out a total combat ability for each participant, dependent on everything that helps in combat. I figure having a shield helps you attack -- you can get closer without having to worry about getting slashed, and you can bash with it. And having a flaming sword will make your opponent warier about getting close enough to attack you.

And, funny thing, this makes combat the same as any other contest -- the abilities don't keep changing.

(NOTE: of course though clever play, the abilities can change, e.g. the disarming example. But this is because of player choice not because the rules force you to calculate two sets of numbers.)

--

David Dunham