Re: Exiting a HeroQuest Early

From: David Weihe <blerg2_at_...>
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 09:23:16 -0800 (PST)

Philip (lists_at_...) wrote:
> If a group of PCs are on a HeroQuest, can they voluntarily
> "exit" before "the end"?

It is possible to do single stages of larger quests as individual (and easier) quests - this is how most feats are learned, I understand. OTOH, going deeper into the Quest implies a greater level of commitment, a willingness to risk death or annihilation, at the deepest levels. This is not D&D Astral Projection, where you return without physical harm if killed on the Astral - barring githyanki encounters - so every proper traveler takes a suicide device for quick exits (although, ... is this the Shamanic Exit trick? Hmmm).

Therefore, I suspect that there are known safe exit points for most quests, but between then, or once beyond a certain point, you go to the end, or take the risks of experimental HeroQuesting to find a new way out, or a new path to a known safe exit.

> The situation in question is that of a group of Orlanthi PCs
> drawn into Yelmalio's Hill of Gold quest. After encountering
> Yelmalio and Inora, can they just "walk off stage" without
> encountering Zorak Zoran?

In this case, yes, as they are between stages (particularly easy for HoG, as it is VERY episodic, compared to, say, the Terminus Quest, or Yinkin and Kero Fin vs the Bad Dogs). Of course, they just might find themselves drawn into someone else's ZZ stage, some time in the future.  They are obviously already vulnerable, else they would not have already been drawn into this one.

They might also find that, coming down, they become someone ELSE's Orlanth, who they have to defeat to get to the exit. I expect that this will be at a lower power level than those that they have already fought, though.

Given the vulnerability to being drawn into another's ZZ Quest, it might make sense to arrange one with a less able opponent (say, a value trollkin, or a Yelmalian militiamen) to finish it, rather than wait for some major heroquester to pluck them up for HIS HoG quest. Of course, trying to use a cake opponent could attract the major Quester as well. They should be told (at least a few of) these risks by some more experienced Questers at the feast held after their return. Of course, they will also hear false theories, as well as outright lies designed to make them look silly, like the famous "... and cluck like a chicken" protection rites.

Do You Yahoo!?