Old characters with multiple careers

From: Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_...>
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 14:55:31 +0100 (CET)

I would give full ratings on any occupation a character may have undertaken, but award a "gone rusty" penalty for abilities which have gone unused for a long time which can be bought down only slowly.

I don't think there should be automatic increases once an occupation has gone to a comfortable level of proficiency. It takes special challenges to go beyond journeyman level. If a player wanted to improve his character beyond normal proficiency, I'd ask him to create a rival character, social connections etc. to prove his motivation not to rest on comfortable proficiency. I.e. spend hero points on character development besides the primary ability, and on character backstory. On the other hand, a hero with a good store of rivals and challenges could be rewarded more off-play hero points for development.