Re: Animist Enquiry

From: Tim Ellis <tim_at_...>
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2005 12:53:02 -0000

Answering without the benefit of a rule book to hand, so no guarantees...

>Can a Practitioner seek out and bind spirits to fetishes that are
>not of their tradition or practice? Or do you need to be a shaman for
>that?

They *may* be able to seek them out, but I'm not sure they'd want to.. I don't think they can bind them into fetishes (or charms, which would be easier...) as they don't know the correct bargains, correspondences or rituals to deal with these non-traditional spirits.

HeroWars had a rule that reducing a spirit to complete defeat allowed you to add that spirit to your own (personal) tradition - that is that character could then treat that spirit as being part of their tradition, althoguh their companions would not. I don't recall whether this was limited to Shaman only, or any practitioner, but suggests a way forward if you want a non-shaman with access to "wierd" spirits.

>How do you determine how friendly spirits outside a tradition are.
>How do you determine whether they are neutral or hostile? GM fiat?

The Practice/Tradition write up lists the typical spirits (which are friendly) and the (main) Enemy, or hostile spirits. I would guess that most of the time, the majority of other spirits tend to be neutral, without some reason (actual or mythical) to be otherwise. (which is, I guess, sort of GM fiat with a light sprinkling of somehat vague justification in there too).

--
On Line Christmas Card at http://www.timellis.demon.co.uk/santa.htm