Re: Re: Combat Rules

From: Ashley Munday <aescleal_at_...>
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2005 12:44:43 +0000 (GMT)

(Neil and Rob stop reading now! Numbers alert thingy)

One thing I've experimented with (not just in combat) is allowing the actor to inflict new abilities on the opponent instead of AP loss. You bid AP as normal, but if you succeed you don't reduce the opponents AP. Instead the opponent get's an ability equal to that level multiplied by a factor dependent on how long that ability is going to affect their character.

So:

For example, you could stake 30 AP in a logical argument to inflict "baffled 10W" (or some multiple) on your opponent for the rest of the conflict. My favourite one so far has been "aroused inspite of herself 3W" during a seduction.

If you're feeling a bit generous you can even let the target of the action convert an AP loss to a new ability. This has the cool effect of having someone winning an argument but coming out "twitching 13", with a "battered ego 1W", and "swearing uncontrollably 19" 'til they get their equilibrium back.

If you do let this happen it'll prolong extended contests a fair bit. It's probably only worth letting the defender do it if things aren't going to get too interminable or say they have to take long term abilities to make it sting a bit. Generally let players take negative abilities for their characters while not bothering for NPCs - unless there's a good reason. What I find really cool about this is that it also gives the players a lot more narrative control. If they REALLY want something to happen they have a better chance of making it happen, but at what cost to their characters?

An example here would be Beowulf winning the contest against the dragon but taking so many long term and permanent burn related abilities that his player decides that it's time for him to retire (i.e. die). The player got what he wanted (stiffed Dragon) and the story got a heroic death.

Another cool thing... Clever players can make taking more negative abilities work for them (true example from a game if you're interested):

Cerych has been seeing Sigurd's wife romantically. Nothing physical yet, but it's getting there. Sigurd finds out and comes storming over to Cerych's stead, sword in hand and demanding that if Cerych doesn't back off, he's going to have his head. Cerych refuses and a contest starts - Sigurd's sword (trying to lop Cerych's head off) against Cerych's love for Sigurd's wife (trying to convince Sigurd that they love each other and he should divorce her and leave them to it).

After a couple of rounds Sigurd has clonked Cerych repeatedly, who's taken all the blows as "wounded for my love." Cerych's player says "Can Sigurd now see that my love for his wife is true? I haven't defended myself lest I hurt someone else she cares for" goes for a rolled augment on his new "wounded for my love" ability and gets a massive augment. Sigurd marginally fails his next roll and pauses, looking at the bloody mass in front of him. Next round, Cerych's player bids everything: "If you want my head, take it, but know you'll never have her heart", blows a hero point to bump his roll to a critcal against Sigurd who fails, is drained of all AP and looses the contest. Sigurd breaks down crying and vows he's unworthy of being a husband and friend.

You can also use it for the results of an extended contest. Number of AP you beat 'em by inflicts an ability on them multiplied by the factors above. So if you beat someone by 40 AP in a punch up(rules say dying) you could give them "Dying 10", "Incapacitated 20", "Wounded 10W" or "Dazed 20W" or something else ("helpless 20W") depending on what your goals were.

If appropriate the characters winning a contest may take a more positive ability for themselves rather than inflicting a negative one on the opposition. You could even divvy the loss up to both sides if it seems appropriate. Whatever happens the abilities gained should be appropriate to the conflict the actors were involved in.

Cheers,

Ash

PS: I think Mike H. mentioned something like this a year or so ago but I can't find the post.

PPS: Those that game with me on a regular basis will know that "Dogs in the Vineyard" is my current system obsession and this was my way of getting the same sort of results with HQ. Go and buy a copy - it changed my life.

PPPS: Another idea I'm toying with but haven't tested yet is swapping abilities for HP during a conflict. You could simulate stretching your luck, bad karma and the dark side of the force with this sort of system.

PPPPS: Shit, bit a long post, better do some work...