Re: Re: Combat Rules

From: Lightcastle <light_castle_at_...>
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2005 14:49:24 -0500

On Friday 23 December 2005 7:44 am, Ashley Munday wrote:
> One thing I've experimented with (not just in combat)
> is allowing the actor to inflict new abilities on the
> opponent instead of AP loss. You bid AP as normal, but
> if you succeed you don't reduce the opponents AP.
> Instead the opponent get's an ability equal to that
> level multiplied by a factor dependent on how long
> that ability is going to affect their character.

Wow. That's a neat concept to replace the 7ap=-1 thing. I may definitely steal this idea. Most intriguing. How has it worked for you? (the example makes it seem it is working well)

> PS: I think Mike H. mentioned something like this a
> year or so ago but I can't find the post.

I seem to recall him having some ideas like this as well. Maybe it was on the Forge, though.

> PPS: Those that game with me on a regular basis will
> know that "Dogs in the Vineyard" is my current system
> obsession and this was my way of getting the same sort
> of results with HQ. Go and buy a copy - it changed my
> life.

I've heard good things about the system. That aspect of the resolution mechanism in particular seems to have many fans. (not without reason)

> PPPS: Another idea I'm toying with but haven't tested
> yet is swapping abilities for HP during a conflict.
> You could simulate stretching your luck, bad karma and
> the dark side of the force with this sort of system.

I don't think I understand what you mean here. You mean sacrificing an ability to get a certain number of Hero points to use? (Or did you mean AP?)

LC