Re: What's in a keyword?

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2005 14:18:53 -0800

> Let me rephrase. The game plays better, in my opinion, if you treat
keywords
> as packages of abilities. For whatever that's worth.
>
> >The list of abilities was meant to be a starting point for the players to
> >get going, not a restrictive list.
>
> Yes, the "package" is all inclusive of whatever it should include. I don't
> differ from you in the least on that.

I think we differ on the use of the word "package" - I was thinking of games like the Hero system where you buy a "package" and get X specific abilities and have to buy any others with your startup points. If the package doresn't give you something, that's too bad, you don't get it. So if the "police patrolman" package doesn't include, say, Driving, and you forgot to buy Driving for your character (or buy another package that includes it), then you can't drive, whereas HeroQuest allows you to retro-fit abilities if you forgot them: "Of course my patrolman can drive, there's not a police department that would hire him without it!"

But I still think of keywords as shorthand (especially Occupation and Homeland KWs) "Sartarite Warrior" gives me a raft of ideas of what the character should be able to do. But of course, to get the shorthand you have to know the background, and Glorantha has a *lot* of background.

RR
- Richelieu