Re: Re: Combat Rules

From: Ashley Munday <aescleal_at_...>
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2005 19:09:21 +0000 (GMT)

Me:

"Another idea I'm toying with but haven't tested yet
is swapping abilities for HP during a conflict. You could simulate stretching your luck, bad karma and the dark side of the force with this sort of system."

Lightcastle:

"I don't think I understand what you mean here. You
mean sacrificing an ability to get a certain number of Hero points to use? (Or did you mean AP?)"

Sorry, crap explanation. Dunno if this one will be any better! It all came around ideas of how to simulate someone mortgaging their luck (buy now, pay later, with interest!) or the seductive nature of a dark side of something.

The idea is that if you take on a higher level of a particular (generally disadvantageous) ability you get a hero point to spend. I was thinking of something like 5 points in an ability to generate 1 hero point. Every time you increase this ability 5 points you get a hero point to spend on something else.

e.g. In a Star Wars setting you could have an ability
"Feels the Dark Side" which increases as you call on
the dark side to do things. This ability would be handy for some things (it'd probably augment a lot of skills) and bad for others (it'd augment most violent emotional abilities as well).

As another example, in a Feudal Japanese game you could have a "Bad Karma" ability which you could use to generate hero points in the same way. The GM could use your bad karma to augment your opponents in a conflict.

Perhaps in a Heortling game you could have an ability like "Bad Wyrd" for someone that rides his or her luck a lot, or "Touched by Krjalk" for someone that likes calling on Krjalk to do sneaky things in an underhanded manner.

Any help?

Cheers,

Ash