Re: HQ for kids

From: parental_unit_2 <parental_unit_2_at_...>
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2005 01:46:27 -0000

> But aren't all charms/talents under the Common Magic keyword, which
> can't be improved?

The way I read the "Consolidated Hero Point Improvement Costs" table entries on _HeroQuest_ page 273, individual common magic talents, feats, charms, and spells can be improved for 2 points (not concentrated) or 1 point (concentrated). (Look at the fourth group of rows from bottom on the table.)

The main disadvantage of this dodge is cultural correctness -- characters concentrated on talents are considered weird in most Gloranthan cultures.

> Yeah, I'm not at all sure this was an improvement in HQ (over Hero
> Wars). I do like the idea of having some sort of lesser magic (more
> like RuneQuest battle magic), and told everyone that as beginning
> characters, their magic wasn't all that powerful.

I haven't seen the kind of disappointment that Rob Davis has in the lack of active abilities. Maybe it helps to provide some kind of florid description of the effects of the augment, which I try to remember to do if the player doesn't provide one. "The jar of acid hurled by your thief's Unerring Throw sprouts fins in midair and corrects its course straight into the cave monster's dripping fangs. A monstrous toothache ensues."

Rob