Re: Dueling

From: Nick Eden <nick_at_...>
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2005 11:59:36 +0000

On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 10:59:43 -0000, you wrote:

>I notice that the first ability listed for the Petty Noble occupation
>is 'Dueling'. Does the absence of a specific weapon (or even the
>generic [weapon]) imply that a petty noble character is familiar with
>any and all of the dueling weapons that are culturally appropriate?

I'd probably allow that. Plus the cultural aspects of Duelling, how to organise one, who needs to serve as seconds, the rituals required to avoid being branded a murderer and so on.

On the other hand, just because one knows how to use a sword in a duel, does not mean that you're comfortable in a melee - you'd get a huge improvisational penalty from having to deal with multiple foes, and worse still, ones that don't obey the correct etiquette of a fight. Just shocking.