Re: Dueling

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2005 08:17:53 -0800

> I notice that the first ability listed for the Petty Noble occupation
> is 'Dueling'.

That's simply because the list is alphabetical...

Does the absence of a specific weapon (or even the
> generic [weapon]) imply that a petty noble character is familiar with
> any and all of the dueling weapons that are culturally appropriate?

Could be, but it's limited knowledge. If you want to be a duelist, you'd stock up on Weapon abilities. Of course, if you want to go the "Everything in one package" route, it can be considered a broad ability (HQ 179), and I'd hit you with Improv Penalties.

Remember that in HQ, *anything* can be an ability, but the broader the scope of a single ability, the more penalties get applied to it. The broadest abilities are Keywords, and the penalty is that you can't raise the value of it (slightly off-set by the fact that a hero should be able to use his keyword abilities at full value, without Improve penalties).

> Unfortunately I'm no weapons expert so, apart from the rapier, I have
> no idea what sorts of melee weapons have served as dueling weapons
> down through history. So I'm interested in finding out what range of
> choices my character may have. If it will be of any help he will
> probably be heavily influenced by Dara Happan or Carmanian culture.

For Dara Happans: Shortsword and shield, Spear (either "and shield" or two-handed), Javelin, Bow.
For Carmanians: Favorite weapon and shield (foot or horseback), Lance on horseback.
For Lunars: Add Scimitar and shield.

Probably all cultures have some form of magical duelling available.

RR
- Richelieu