Re: Dueling

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2005 16:32:46 +0000 (GMT)

> Does the absence of a specific weapon (or even the
> > generic [weapon]) imply that a petty noble
> character is familiar with
> > any and all of the dueling weapons that are
> culturally appropriate?
>
> Could be, but it's limited knowledge. If you want to
> be a duelist, you'd stock up on Weapon abilities.

A common rule of duelling has been "challenged party chooses the weapons". Of course, a gentleman will only choose weapons which his opponent knows how to use... won't he?

It can be very important to specify *exactly* what weapons you're talking about, of course. At an ACW show a few years back, we staged a duel. What weapons? "Guns". So they drew their pistols, turned their backs on each other, walked the prescribed number of paces away - which took the artillery officer to his 12-pounder Napoleon cannon. I'm not quite sure how you'd simulate this in Glorantha.

> Remember that in HQ, *anything* can be an ability,
> but the broader the scope
> of a single ability, the more penalties get applied
> to it. The broadest abilities are Keywords,

I'm pretty sure we came up with a Keyword for "Duellist" for the benefit of our Swords campaign - it may in fact have been used more like a Broad Ability, but since it now only gets used by NPCs, it didn't make a lot of difference.

Oh. Yes, we did, but it's a bit limited. Must flesh that out sometime. Though the main NPC who got defined by it is now dead.

http://www.herewardslegion.info/wikka/wikka.php?wakka=KeyDuellist