Re: Secrets

From: Bryan <bethexton_at_...>
Date: Mon, 02 Jan 2006 20:51:37 -0000

For theistic characters it would have to be a LONG campaign! Now, when animists have secrets they tend to be much easier to get--I have a grazer entertainer/spy/wanderer who follows Folorene (if I have the name right, books aren't handy--the grazer misfit), who besides looking like a lot of fun to play would actually have a fighting chance of learning his practice secret in a campaign of fair duration.   A total of 72 points above starting 17's would be required, and some of those could come at character creation. But most practices don't seem to have secrets. I forget what the requirements for order secrets are, but I think that they are even less common.

> David and I discussed one solution: Heroquesting. In principle, PCs
> can gain large boosts to affinities through heroquesting and learn a
> Secret that way.

One note is that the rules suggest the main way of getting character augments is through heroquest challenges. The way the rules are written you never thereby get your original ability increased. You get a new ability, which may duplicate one that you have (and can hence augment your own ability). So if you start with storm affinity at 15W, and defeat Duvrost in a heroquest challenge gaining 32 points of his storm affinity, you could end up with "storm affinity 15W" and "Duvrost's storm affinity 12W", rather than "storm affinity 7W3."

Of course, that is not to say that the narrator can't say that a side benefit at some stage is simply an affinity boost, when not a heroquest challenge.

Regards;

--Bryan