RE: What's in a keyword?

From: Mike Holmes <mike_c_holmes_at_...>
Date: Tue, 03 Jan 2006 01:17:13 -0600

>From: "Jane Williams" <janewilliams20_at_...>
>
> > Constraint produces creativity.
>
>That would imply that my players, who I don't use rules to limit, would
>lack
>creativity.

No, it doesn't. That would be like me saying, "Rain produces water" and you saying that I'm implying that no water comes from oceans.

Let me try a more Zen approach and ask, why, if freedom is the end-all of design, do we have rules for resolution? Would you also do without those?

I'll give you a hint, it's not to prevent "abuse." RPG rules can't do that.

To get back to specifics, for the keyword rule in question, such a limitation gives the player structure around which to make suitable and interesting judgements about what they want to include in the keyword. Don't get me wrong, "Narrator Approval" can do this just fine as well. But they're both community limits set by the people playing the game.

Mike