Re: Secrets

From: David Weihe <blerg2_at_...>
Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2006 20:02:12 -0800 (PST)

> > Greg Stafford wrote:
> >>HeroQuesting to specifically raise a skill was the
> >>intended method of increasing them to the level
> >>where a Secret might be gained.
> > Still does not work. If you have the requisite 3 x 1W2
> > abilities, you are better off (again, from he rules PoV)
> > spending your HPs on one of those 3 abilities rather
> > than the Secret.

> To recap. The Humakti Secret for example is useless, as
> presented in the rules, because all Humakti have a Death
> ability already: it's usually called Sword Combat.

Which is useless outside of close range, or when stripped of weapons, or when the opponent is in adamant over dinosaur hide armor and the Humakti is just carrying a dagger, or a bunch of other times.

BTW, is the Chalana Arroy secret of Resurrection useless?

Admittedly, some of the Secrets seem rather useless, but then Become The Storm isn't of much interest to a PC, but certainly makes sense in the cultic context.

> Thinks...
> Is a Secret an Affinity? The cost to increase a Secret
> isn't explicitly listed on the Hero Improvement Costs
> table. If the cost was +1 per 1HP, then it would at
> least mean that the Secret could be brought up to
> speed very much more quickly than the affinities could.

IF? Since when was a Secret an Affinity? I thought that it has always been a stand-alone feat, and thus raised at 1 HP per point just like any other feat.

Yahoo! DSL � Something to write home about. Just $16.99/mo. or less.
dsl.yahoo.com