Re: Teaching skills

From: Andrew Solovay <asolovay_at_...>
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 20:43:20 -0000

That's my understanding, too. If I understand correctly, the halfprice  for increasing skills applies if the player comes up with some basis for the skill increase that's a bit more play-connected than just "I'd like this skill". So, e.g., if the group is traveling along with a Lunar missionary, one of the players might say "When we camp, I encourage him to talk about the Lunar way". Then when he gets HPs to spend, the player could spend them on improving his "Initiate of Seven Mothers", or "Lunar empire knowledge", or "rhetoric" (etc., etc.) skills, and he'd pay the half-price cost. And if the campaign takes them trhough Prax, any character could reasonably buy up his "animal nomad lore" or "wasteland survival" skills while paying the discounted price, because those are the sort of skills that might naturally improve under the circumstances.

Whereas if someone wanted to buy an "Uz lore" skill (out of nowhere-- say, he gets some HPs to spend and also finds out that he has to go into the Rubble), he'd have to pay double, as the cost for pulling the new skill out of his butt. ("My... um... uncle was a famous troll-raider, and he used to tell campfire stories about troll ways! Yeah, that's the ticket!")