Re: Re: Practice Heroquests

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 08:03:03 +0000 (GMT)

> > Summons of Evil is the standard rite to start
> Orlanthi heroquests,
> > by cleaning the local area of potential opposition
> (assuming that
> > you can deal with the Evil, of course). This is
> done first,
> > whether doing a small service or a full
> Lightbringer's Quest. It
> > is not a separate Quest.

Although it can be done that way, as we know. KoS somewhere - one of Argrath's ancestors harassed an enemy clan to the point that they did a SoE to get rid of him. And no, they couldn't deal with the Evil they summoned.

> e.g. If you're about to go out and fight a
> single-combat, your clan
> may hold an "arming of Orlanth" ceremony to give you
> some helpful
> magic. But if you're about to go on a major
> heroquest, you might well
> run the "arming of Orlanth" as a practice
> quest--increasing the
> difficulty (and the consequences if you screw up),
> but also increasing the reward.

But does it? In fact, is there a distinction here?

Are any of the rules-writers out there who can comment on how a practice quest differs from "ritual magic", and to what extent it involves planes other than the mundane?

> So in this case, since Broyan is doing something
> very difficult, he
> might well run the Summons of Evil as a heroquest.
> (Though I say it
> with the proviso that I don't actually *have* OiD,
> so I'm kinda
> talking through my hat here.)

I do, but not on me - IIRC, no details are given anyway. What turns up is an entirely mundane Lunar army. So he was working at Practice level, but with high opposition, in that case. It's only Practice level that "sucks in" mundane opponents, remember. An "evil", of a level matching yours, appears. Approximately matching yours, that is. The WW list still have suspicions that that's why the Bat turned up down there.