Re: Turning ceremonies into heroquests?

From: Tim Ellis <tim_at_...>
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 11:35:04 -0000

Yes, but...

> For example, suppose the myth includes something like "Then
> Orlanth called his thanes together, and they armed him for
> battle, and he went forth and drove Gash from the field". In a
> case like that, I'd assume station N might be "Orlanth
> is armed by his thanes"--you re-enact the mythic "Arming of
> Orlanth" event--*and then* you go on to station N+1, "Orlanth
> defeats Gash". The motion occurs from one station to the next, and
> the success of the "arming" station influences your chances in
> the "fighting" station.

"The Arming of Orlanth" is a ritual usually enacted as part of the preparation for a Heroquest, and is, IIRC, one of the ways that supporters are linked to the questor. I don't think it would be possible to use this particular ritual both as preparation to and as an integral part of the same quest. This means that in your example above, the quest might not start until station N+1, with the arming being the last "pre-quest" ritual, or it might mean that it is not normal to perform the ritual before this particular quest (other wise station N becomes "Orlanth called his thanes together, fully armed and prepared for war" - whether this has any practical difficulties is another matter! (As is whether your "actual Orlanthi" would recognise any difference between a ritual performed immediately prior to a Heroquest and one performed at the very start of a Heroquest as an integral part of the quest.