Re: The Stationary Lightbringers Quest

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 21:21:43 +0000 (GMT)

> Let me respond.
>
> A baptism or a marriage is a ceremony.

Yep.

> It is intended to have a
> definite transfinite impact.

Sometimes. Not always. That's the point, the word "ceremony" does not automatically imply any sort of magic.

> I'm at a loss for a ritual that is empty of import,

Totally empty of import, probably not, even if it's an invalid import percieved only by the participant: like the ritual of what order pressies are taken from the Xmas tree, or blowing out the candles on a birthday cake. Empty of magical import, yes, that's normal. Most wedding ceremonies, the import is legal, not magical. The Ritual of Weighing In I did tonight had no magical intent at all (unless you believe the adverts that claim magical weight loss for this diet program).

> or a religious ceremony that is.

Truly religious, probably not, normal stuff that happens in churches, yes. It's tradition, a social event, following the crowd.

> In fact, the reason for oaths and prayers in our
> national ceremonies ... is
> that the ceremony is intended to invoke the
> transmundane.

Was, not is. Hence them being led by people who don't understand what they're saying. And that's hardly new, either.

> The thought that ceremonies exist as pageantry only
> is quite new, and not a part of our common
heritage.

Very old, actually. Think about a Roman triumph. Ceremony, ritual, and pure pageantry designed to impress onlookers.

Sure, ceremonies *can* have magical intentions. Bottles *can* contain mead, not water or beer. But it's not part of the definition.

Yahoo! Photos � NEW, now offering a quality print service from just 8p a photo http://uk.photos.yahoo.com