Re: Fighting with ghosts

From: Benedict Adamson <yahoo_at_...>
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 17:17:51 +0000

Gavain Sweetman wrote:
> They are the three ghosts in the Rainbow Mounds, and have a single intention:
> to turn any intruders into rock lizards.

A single intention, perhaps, but there could be more to them. Ghosts are rather single minded, but they are not machines. They will have a history, and memories (perhaps distant).

What are the consequences of defeat in this contest (I don't recall)? Bear in mind that only a Complete Defeat would mean someone had been permanently turned into a Rock Lizard. A Major Defeat might mean that someone was temporarily turned into a Rock Lizard, but what of a Minor Defeat?

It sounds like the ghosts are a sentient obstacle. The heroes could try to sneak past them. Or tunnel around them. Or have one character distract them while the others slip by.

If the Heroes ALONE can not possibly pass the ghosts, the real contest is not to pass the ghosts, but to find an Exorcist or Shaman to help the Heroes.

If the Heroes MUST get past the ghosts for the adventure to continue, then the Narrator should not set it up as a contest to try and get past the ghosts; instead it should be a contest to decide how well (or cheaply) the Heroes got past the ghosts.

If the Narrator can not think of reasonable ways that the Heroes could pass the ghosts, simply do not have them as a contest.