Re: ceremonial heroquets

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 19:08:04 +0000 (GMT)

> > So the troll does a Hero Plane level HQ, gets to
> that
> > point in his version of the LBQ story, then
> somehow
> > aligns himself with the occasion when it's *this*
> lot
> > of people doing the quest, not someone else, drops
> > level from HeroPlane to Mundane(ish), ...

> There is no ?drop? here.

No change of level?

> It seems you can?t understand this, but the LBQ =
> LBQ in any of its forms. The
> stationary version is a LBQ whatever outward form it
> takes. The stationary one I
> weaker, but it is still the same ceremony.

But the HQ exists on three possible levels? God Plane, HeroPlane, and this sort of merging of mundane and magical where Practice Quests happen. It's all the same story, yes, but surely they have to be on the same level to interact?

> > Didn't we once get told that you can only leave
> the
> > HeroPlane at the same physical point where you
> entered
> > it (since you left your body there)?

Just found that in the rules: and of course it's ambiguous! :)

P 204. "The questors must reenter the Mortal Plane at the place that they began..." but a paragraph earlier, describing things that can go wrong, "may be forced from the Hero Planes to the Mortal World, perhaps at his starting point, perhaps thousands of miles from it."

(sigh) which sort of implies that you can't *choose* to drop out in a different place, it has to be uncontrolled, but it isn't all that clear. You can't, except for when you do. And since your body is still back at your original temple, dancing or whatever, I'd say you've got a problem.

> As said above, he doesn?t have to. He is in the Hero
> Plane, as is the celebrant of the ceremony.

But I thought the whole distinction between Practice level and HeroPlane level was that they weren't? If they were doing HeroPlane level, sure, but they're not. Or are we saying this overlap area counts as full HeroPlane?

> But the magical plane overlaps and crosses to the
> mundane side, which is he safe
> in the end for interfering with the ceremony.

So the Practice Quest people have brought the full HeroPlane experience to themselves? At all points of what's still a physical and mundane journey (assuming there is a journey in this quest)?

> > Somewhere we have a
> > description of a "normal" quest (whatever that
> means!)
> > where the participants send their souls (*)
> travelling
> > and their bodies stay behind, apparently asleep,
> and
> > one hopes, well guarded.
>
> You are describing a normal worship ceremony.

Just found it in TR, p120. Interesting - the description here says that they go to the God Plane! Not the HeroPlane, but all the way to the God Plane, as part of a temple worship ceremony.

> However, the bodies are not sleeping, they are
> performing a ceremony.

yes, I see where the confusion came from on re-reading. I was looking at the Ernaldan ceremony, where of course Ernalda goes to sleep. And reading that just after the description (p119) of the participants going into a trance and awakening in the God World. A trance is not a sleep, but the image of participants lying down helpless while their souls went travelling stuck and got mentally mis-labeled.