Re: Definitions

From: Jeff Richard <richaje_at_...>
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 16:03:11 -0000

> "Specifically"? I'm not sure what you mean by that -
> the current rules are generic. Take a look at the way
> various writers have come up with 100-words
> descriptions of themselves, complete with keywords,
> and the way we happily use the rules to describe our
> everyday activities. Not to mention Mythic Russia - if
> that uses different rules, then they're so similar
> that I played through a full scenario without noticing
> any difference.

Come on Jane, you know that the Heroquest (subtitled "Roleplaying in Glorantha") rules are not generic. The rules were written specifically for Glorantha - a fact which is stamped all over the rulebook. Many of the basic rules mechanisms are adaptable to other contexts such as Mythic Russia, but to do so requires changing or eliminating some of the rules (frex, Mythic Russia does not use the Three Worlds of magic and probably drops a lot of the related rules).

Heroquest is designed to model Glorantha. The fact that the rules can be adapted to other contexts does not alter that.

Jeff