Re: Re: Acquiring abilities by HeroQuest Challenge

From: Gavain Sweetman <gavain.sweetman_at_...>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 21:22:39 +0100 (BST)

> Just to confirm: It's possible to have a heroquest that has _no_
> Heroquest Challenge, correct?

Yes.

> In that case, as I understand it, the benefit of the heroquest is a
> new ability with a rating determined by the resistance at the Critical
> Station.

Yes.

> The rating is some fraction of the resistance.

Yes but.. The rating is calculated as 12 + a bonus (for a new abilty) or just the bonus to an existing ability. The bonus depends on the resistance (R) and the final success: Complete = R/2, Major = R/4, Minor = R/10, Marginal +1. Though the book (p204) does say that the bonus may be modified by up or down depending on the stated goals of the questers. One off boons may attract x3 multiplier whilst long term bonuses may be multiplied by 1/2, 1/4 or even 1/10 for perminant changes.

Gavain