Re: Acquiring abilities by HeroQuest Challenge

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 20:24:39 +0100 (BST)

> > > Re-read page 203 - Heroquest challenge.
> >
> > If I could get at my books, I would :(
>
> So, has he decided to re-roof the house yet? :-)

You think you're joking? The builders come to look at the loft next week. They may well decide to do just that to repair the damage, at least in part.

> > Before it starts? So this is part of the "setup"
> > ritual, where the presiding godi makes sure all
> the
> > conditions are right, you'll end up in the right
> bit
> > of Other Side, and so on?

> Yes. What ability (or maybe "type of ability") to
> wager is included in the
> myth - sort of like instructions in a recipe: Take
> 1 Quester, a
> fire-related ability of at least 10w2 rating, a
> spear, three leather
> thongs... bake on low heat until a low boil, then
> violently throw in a 300 pounds of Zorak Zoran ...

Laughing that much while eating is messy :(

> > even more interesting and relevant, if he's trying
> > stitch you up....
>
> If you can't trust your godi...

Then you're in a lot of trouble (spelt "plot").

In the case I'm thinking of, trusting him would be a very bad idea, but some NPCs do silly things.

> Either another HQer (probably your special Heroquest
> opponent)), or the
> Heroplane version god/whatever itself. It's *so*
> hard to tell the difference between the two!

Agreed, but *he'll* know, and the setting-up godi may well have some idea.

> Your opponent is going to be doing his own version
> of the event - if you're
> doing "Yelmalio at the Hill of Gold", your opponent
> will be doing "Zorak Zoran at the HoG".

Yep. Means writing both sides of the myth, but that's hardly a problem.

> you cannot force a HQC on an unsuspecting opponent.
> think we had this discussion a few months ago

Yep. But a seriously misled opponent, I think you could. Still, this is heading away from "what's standard" and towards "how I'm going to use it".

> And, if you *are* sucked in, you haven't had
> a chance yo declare your wager ability, so can't
> participate in the proceedings.

Thanks, I'll add another item to the careful preparations the godi will have to make for this to work. After all, he's doing the setup (in every sense). He does the declaration.

> Even if you provide Timmy the Trollkin as your
> "Zorak Zoran" (ala Cults of
> Prax), you can't be *sure* what you're going to face
> on the other side

Agreed. You can be sure enough to take the chance, though, in-game, and in meta-gaming terms, the GM decides.

> > > Then you have a contest using the two wagered
> > > abilities.
> >
> > This is where I get a bit puzzled: ISTR some myth
> > (Eric of the Vanak Spear?) where the hero wagered
> some
>
> Err, afraid I don't recall that one off the top of
> my head.

And I can't remember what source it was from, of course, and can't get at it :(

> As in all HQ contests, you need to start with some
> ability, but can change
> to another during the contest, so I'd say you have
> to *start* with your
> wagered ability, but thereafter can use something
> else - start with Fire, but finish with Spear, say.

Ah, fine. Thanks. At the very least, you'd have to demo to your opponent that you've got the ability in question! Put your money on the table, as it were.

> Yes. The wager is the number written on your
> character sheet, the base
> ability rating. You can certainly augment that
> number during the quest
> and/or contest, and you can ask your backers or
> specific help at the Heroquest challenge.

Fine.

> If you can beat a 2-mastery disadvantage with
> modifers, then more power to you :-).

For the circumstances I'm thinking of, I reckon I can get as close as I need to, yes.

> The basic situation will be described in
> the myth - if you've been
> beat up by Orlanth and chaos and now have to face
> Zorak Zoran...

Then you're at a few negative modifiers, I'd say, and Timmy may well be about to gain some fire magic.

> > I believe some HQs have rewards to be gained at
> > intermediate stations, and may be done with that
> in mind rather than the main outcome

> - could your godi
> > set things up so those are a HQ Challenge this
> time,
> > say? Still being declared in advance?
>
> I don't think so. I don't think that the mortal has
> the option of declaing
> an event to be a HQC, instead the myth is the
> determining factor. So for
> minor risk, you get minor results. The big rewards
> come with big risks, and
> they come at pre-determined events inside the myth.

Right, I'd better write my myth rather carefully, then. Thanks. HoG seems to have three (four?) stations that are ability-loss/gain points, and therefore HQ challenges, and that's plenty for what I have in mind. I'm sure I can do a quick myth with three or four stations.