Re: Healers in Swenstown

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 15:27:18 -0700

- Richelieu

Trying to head off some straying Healing comments...

>> Personally I dislike the "all or nothing" healing, I'd
>> prefer an option of "back from death's door but will
>> take time for a full recovery" - a magical move from
> "dying" to "injured" that makes natural healing
> possible, say. That's what "minor" magical healing
> does, it's "major" that is all-or-nothing.
>
> Yeah. Does major healing actually represent how healing worked in
Glorantha
> prior to RQ? Or is major healing just a replacement for RQ's instant
healing
> abilities?
>
> I find complete instant healing only occurs in other (non-Glorantha)
fantasy
> source literature when somebody does something like a heroquest. Never
once
> happens in Middle Earth, for instance.

Remember that what the rules call "Major" healing is the province of Secrets, not mere feats or the like, *and* as noted: "many major healing abilities require a ritual ... and so may take hours or even days to work" . So the vast majority of the healers in Swenstown aren't going to be instantaneously healing anybody. Some will get lucky with a feat (getting a complete Success), but it's a memorable occasion when it happens, not everyday ho-hum medicine.

Since a secret can Kill with a glance on any level of Victory, what's the problem with healing restoring?

And Middle Earth has *much* less magic than Glorantha, by many degrees of magnitude. Even if you play ICE Middle Earth.