Re: Resistance to the Opening

From: Trotsky <TTrotsky_at_...>
Date: Sat, 13 May 2006 11:32:56 +0100

Mike Holmes:

>One simple suggestion, however, it seems to me that the stats you're citing
>for your characters are for starting characters.

True; they are.

>I don't think that starting
>characters would be the entire crew for a ship.

Well, they are. Too late to change that and, I would have thought, the obvious default for a campaign. Sure, it means you are relatively minor and inexperienced by the standards of ship's crews, but that's why your hero band has to grow and develop in ability. It wouldn't be much fun to be a member of somebody else's shipboard Hero Band, now would it?

>In any case, perhaps your game should be set after the closing?

It isn't; too late for that, too. Like I said, if this *is* the rule, we will almost certainly (continue to) ignore it. Although I'm not the GM, so it isn't my call. Really though, I do think that if this is the intent, the Men of Sea book should have been a bit more clear about it.

Roderick:

>Not that *I*'m aware of. [snip] The resistance to the Opening ritual is listed as "14-10w3+". That means
>that there is a range of values, and the narrator can make up his own value
>depending on circumstance, plot, etc.

Good; that was the way I (and, I believe, our GM) had interpreted the statement. Sure, there are areas or times where its much more difficult, and those can drive interesting stories. And, yes, on those rare occasions when it is 10w3, it is the equivalent of entering an Otherworld - much like entering the Outer World, I'd guess; a realm controlled by the mysterious deities of the Sea... (Which is why, I'd guess, that's the maximum it gets to).

--
Trotsky
Gamer and Skeptic