Re: Re: Resistance to the Opening

From: Jakob Pape <chaomancer_at_...>
Date: Sat, 13 May 2006 16:48:08 +0100

On 5/13/06, Jeff Richard <richaje_at_...> wrote:

> > 5 People turn up to the game where their PC's are to transport a
> cargo
> > to the next port. Everyone is excited about the upcoming scenario!!
> > Play starts with the opening roll...
> > Player: Oh dear, I failed the opening roll.
>
> How is that different from the historical world where a ship might be
> delayed for months before getting a wind that will let it leave port.
>
> 5 People turn up to the medieval earth game where their PC's are to
> transport a cargo to the next port. Everybody is excited about the
> upcoming scenario!!
> Play starts with the prevailing winds roll..
> Player: Oh dear, the prevailing winds roll is against us, I guess we
> get to wait a week.
>
> Repeat.
>
> Jeff

As I understood the HeroQuest rules, a roll is meant to be your overall attempt at something - no rolling until you succeed at a task. The analogy for waiting for a wind would be rolling a marginal success or something: "After several weeks of trying, you finally get the Openning to work, and off to sea with you."

Failing means that you've failed at that test, and the situation has to change significantly before you try again.

That's how I read the 'no repeat attempts' rule on p. 63 of the rules, anyway. Am I missing something?

--
Jakob Pape

"Sometimes subtlety comes in the form of large explosions and jammed open
airlock doors."