Closing, Opening, etc.

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Sun, 14 May 2006 20:52:57 +0100 (BST)

As I understand it, first of all there was the Closing, and during that time travel on the open seas was impossible, end of story (Greg confirmed this, I believe).

Then Dormal did his thing, and there was a means of sidestepping it. Not easy, but possible.

And eventually, the Closing will end completely. I have an idea that's quite soon, maybe even already happened if in your game the Sky Ship is sailing again. But who's going to find out? Only someone who tries sailing the open seas *without* a successful Opening Ritual. And no-one would be mad enough to try that, not even a group of PCs, would they? Would they?

But, thing to remember - shipping didn't stop during the Closing! As long as you kept within sight of land (or was it some other similar measurement?) you could sail along the coast without trouble. There's a lot can be done like that. So you could, in your game, fail the Opening Ritual, mutter rude words, and decide to go the long way around along the coast. And on the way, being close to shore, you see.... (insert new plot here).