Re: Closing, Opening, etc.

From: Robert McArthur <rjmcarthur_at_...>
Date: Mon, 15 May 2006 10:39:12 +1000

Jane Williams wrote:
> And eventually, the Closing will end completely. I
> have an idea that's quite soon, maybe even already
> happened if in your game the Sky Ship is sailing
> again. But who's going to find out? Only someone who
> tries sailing the open seas *without* a successful
> Opening Ritual. And no-one would be mad enough to try
> that, not even a group of PCs, would they? Would they?
>
> But, thing to remember - shipping didn't stop during
> the Closing! As long as you kept within sight of land
> (or was it some other similar measurement?) you could
> sail along the coast without trouble. There's a lot
> can be done like that. So you could, in your game,
> fail the Opening Ritual, mutter rude words, and decide
> to go the long way around along the coast. And on the
> way, being close to shore, you see.... (insert new
> plot here).

My understanding of the closing & Dormal was that you did the ritual as you were leaving port and, if the ritual failed, the full effects of the closing hit you - ie. you were almost certainly sunk, eaten, electrocuted (gigantic eels you know), battered, hewn and anything else you can think of. That is, you didn't make it. This is why one employed someone with a good Open Seas ritual level :-) Oh, and the ritual ensures that *they're* on the boat with you as well! MGF means that the ship probably just makes it back to where if left from though.

In most (?) of Gloranthan waters, the closing came pretty close to the shore hence *no* mucking around the coast at all, even in dingheys, let alone something big enough to successfully trade with. Those societies cut off really were cutoff - noone came in/out via the sea. IMG, YGMV. There were some places IIRC where staying in sight of land was enough - Choralinthor Bay I think among some others?

Rob