Failing rolls

From: Antonio Álvarez del Cuvillo <antalvarez1976_at_...>
Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 10:06:19 -0000

IMG, I make the players roll only if I consider that the possibility of failure (or success) make the story interesting (if not, why roll?). So, if the player fail the roll, well, I describe the defeat and we continue narrating.

Normally, you can't make a new roll 'ceteris paribus' (if nothing changes). In some sense, the scene has finished (the hero can't open the door or sail the ship). BUT, normally, it isn't very difficult for the player to make up another approach, 'There is always another way' (another ability, new augments, help from other characters, a new plan, etc.); it isn't a repetition, so it's a new contest (as a general rule, applying the hurt penalty). Generally, this creativity is good for the story.

So, you failed the Opening ceremony but you realised that you failed because the sea gods are angry, so you have to organise a propiciatory sacrifice, you need to find the ritual components, a priest, etc., and then you could roll another time (with a penalty). You can't lock the door but you could destroy it or look for the key, or look for your god's help (you realise that you could improvise a feat or use an affinity as an augment).

Regards,

Antonio