RE: New writeups on www.glorantha.com

From: Mike Holmes <mike_c_holmes_at_...>
Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2006 11:51:39 -0500

>From: "nichughes2001" <nicolas.h_at_...>
>
>In play how would narrators handle the potions? My first inclination
>would be to say that a character that spends HP on a potion can
>typically be expected to have that one dose to hand, either to use or
>sell. The dose reappears between stories (as would for example a lost
>mundane item) and is presumed to have been remade in downtime.

I think that's about right. The Sedrosa write-up has notes on creating potions, which I think that I'd use whenever it was dramatic. But, yeah, between adventures or something where the character has substantial "down time" I wouldn't bother with the contest.

Also note that it's non-problematic for a character to be said to have as many potions as they like. Having a supply that might run out at some point is always less advantageous compared to an ability that can't run out at all. So I wouldn't worry about numbers of potions, let the player have as many as they think they would reasonably want to port around.

Similarly, since there's a HP cost for other characters to get these, I don't think that there'll be any problem with too many such potions being created for other characters. I would assume, however, that once the HP cost is paid, that the potion maker can make as many potions for this other as they wish. This isn't clear in the write up (and I may be reading that section all wrong, truth be told).

A thought occured to me that if you want to make potions more powerful, you can say that they always have an effect with a duration, and basically dwindle with effectiveness over time. That is, they always start out at full effect, and then gain a penalty as they hit the duration benchmarks down the road. Meaninig that very powerful potions would never wear off entirely. Again, this isn't problematic from a balance POV, because, basically it's like havining a regular ability that simply sometimes isn't at full power.

Mike