Re: Age Old Question on Feats and Affinity Augments

From: Mike Holmes <mike_c_holmes_at_...>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 10:24:28 -0500

>From: paul_at_...
>
>Officially you can't augment with both an Affinity and a Feat under that
>Affinity - or even with two feats from the same Affinity (because that's
>using the same ability twice). I understand that that makes "augment-only"
>feats rather useless unless they have some other advantage.

Well I think the idea with feats is that they should be rather active, and thus not "augment only." That is, if you see a feat like "Strong Defense," which sounds sorta "augmenty" figure out a way to use it as primary. Allow it to be the primary ability in a fight where the player sets the characters goal as not getting hurt, for instance (augmenting with strength, weapon skill, and such).

For "Sword Help" I'd allow it to be used as primary in a contest to enchant the sword permenantly in some way, perhaps (I'm not familiar with the likely history behind this ability, so pardons if that doesn't fit the canon). I think that the key is in taking the time to find contests in which these abilities can be primary, rather than just picking any contest and having them always end up being augments.

Mike