Re: Re: Age Old Question on Feats and Affinity Augments

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 08:55:04 -0700

> I suppose as a "way-back" Glorantha fan, I've been trying to shoe-
> horn devotees into the "Rune Lord" mould for some time now
> (especially since both I and my players have become VERY used to
> Rune Lords and Rune Priests as facts of the Gloranthan "reality") -
> although from the start it did seem quite "easy" to become one in
> the HW and HQ rules. This discussion is making me see devotees as
> *not necessarily* the next step for every initiate, but instead
> perhaps a different flavour of religious dedication. This leaves
> Disciple as pretty much the Rune-level equivalent - and it's
> probably about as difficult to become a Disciple in HQ as it was a
> Rune-level in RQ.
>
> The remaining question for characters will then of course be, when
> do I switch from being an initiate to being a devotee, since I need
> knowledge of the cult secret to become a disciple?

In my mind Initiates rarely become devotees. Devotee isn't a step forward so much as a step sideways - removing yourself from mundane life and dedicating yourself to your god; similar to becoming a monk or priest in Real Life.

Few people are on a "religious life course", and those that are can skip Initiate entirely and jump straight to devotee (especially player heroes, who are wierd to begin with). Disciples are complete whack jobs, and only a small proportion of any cult (probably less than 1%) will actively aim for it.

The old RQ idea of moving through Lay to initiate to Rune Level is not followed in HQ. Most people will stay initiates their entire lives. Those with a religious calling will become devotees.

RR
- Richelieu