Re: Age Old Question on Feats and Affinity Augments

From: Rob <robert_m_davis_at_...>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 23:46:01 -0000

Hi

RR says in response to SN:

> In my mind Initiates rarely become devotees. Devotee isn't a step
forward so
> much as a step sideways - removing yourself from mundane life and
dedicating
> yourself to your god; similar to becoming a monk or priest in Real
Life.

> Few people are on a "religious life course", and those that are
can skip
> Initiate entirely and jump straight to devotee (especially player
heroes,
> who are wierd to begin with). Disciples are complete whack jobs,
and only a
> small proportion of any cult (probably less than 1%) will actively
aim for
> it.
>
> The old RQ idea of moving through Lay to initiate to Rune Level is
not
> followed in HQ. Most people will stay initiates their entire
lives. Those
> with a religious calling will become devotees.

Rob:

Well, yes. I'm sure everyone will agree with me when I say Heroquest the game does not fix you to a set of rules or a 'you must play this way' ethos. Your Glorantha Will Vary. For example, if you wanted to make devotee's not wack jobs or monk like, then don't. Thats not how I run it, because frankly, thats not how any players I have had have played them (well some do, but thats folks I guess).

I suppose it all comes down on what you (or your players) want from the game; roleplaying, just having a laugh, tabletop Gloranthan reenactment,  etc.

I think you will find the rules are very unintrusive, and intuitive. Once you start playing I am sure that you will get into the swing of things just fine.

And if you can get to a convention, then maybe you might catch a demo game from on the fine official Gloranthan Masters of Luck and Death narrators! Our motto is, 'its not all work, work, work.'

Best regards
Rob