Re: Re: Age Old Question on Feats and Affinity Augments

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2006 09:52:15 -0700

> > Err, no - devotees have the "no magic but from your God" clause.
> Unless
> > you're talking about stand-alone feats learned while Heroquesting,
> or some
> > other wierdness.
> >

> Or perhaps stand-alone feats from other aspects or subcults of the god?

Subcults and aspects are part of "Your God". A Destor worshipper is really worshipping "Orlanth Adventurous Destor", so can get magic from Orlanth Adventurous and Destor. If he wants to swap around to another form or Orlanth, he'd lose the OA. stuff and gain the O. Thunderous (or whatever) affinities. But it's still Orlanth. What he can't get is Elmal magic, or Humakt Magic (other than shared cults), or Zorak Zoran magic, *UNLESS* he steals/borrows/recieves as a gift/otherwise gets it during a Heroquest (or, as I said, some other wierdness).

>ISTR some get-out clause that you have to *give up*
>magic other than from your god when you Devote, but
>there's nothing to stop you from re-learning it
>afterwards.

Personally, I *don't* think that a devotee can re-acquire common magic after devoting - the intent of the ruoe is to remove all other (easily-acquired) magics and make the hero rely solely on his god (or other wierdness) for magic. That was certainly our intent when writing the rule. By "abandon" we meant "abandon the practice of common magic" not just the individual abilities.

>>> And if necessary one can turn other forms of common
> >> magic into feats (but they can't be used as active magic).

>>You can?

>Apparently what is done by the Darjiinians for their common
>magic

"Treating as" isn't the same as "changing". I would impose some sort of misapplied worship modifier to a feat treated like a charm if the hero was concentrated - probably just by removing the feat-charm even though the hero "treated" it like a charm during his unconcentrated adventures.

>and by the Dormali for their Open Seas spell (Men of
t>he Sea p17).

The Dormal the Founder school went and located (or invented - that's still a hazy distinction) the nodes for the Seven Voyages of Dormal - including the Opening Ritual. But the wizardry school didn't simply take a Common Magic talent and turn it into a spell (or even "treat it like a CM spell"), they went much farther than that and actually created/discovered the spell node for it.

Note that the Maslo (MotS 30) have the Opening Dance as a real honest to goodness charm, which means that in their reach of the ocean there are spirits that "know" how to Open the Seas. But that's not to say that they "changed" the Opening ritual, just that they discovered another source for it.

RR
- Richelieu