Re: Re: Age Old Question on Feats and Affinity Augments

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2006 16:22:32 -0700

> > It is difficult for Devotees to become Heortling political
> leaders,
> > because doing so requires initiation to a leadership sub cult. A
> Devotee
> > who also initiates to the sub cult has little time left for
> leadership.
>
> It depends on the GM, YGWV and all that.I use the 'embodying your
> deity', ie doing your job (if your worship is job specific) as the
> time spent to a certain degree, others prefer that the time is spent
> in prayer or some such. I personally think that is a bit tiresome
> for player characters.

"Time spent on the job" *is* part of the time committment for initiates & devotees (as long as the job and the diety match), but a Barntar Devotee who wants to be Chief is going to find that his regular job (Farmer) isn't all that compatible with the Dar subcult (or whichever leadership cult he's going into). Certainly it's possible to lead a clan without all that nifty leadership magic, but it's harder...

And a 90% committment of time is rather...strenuous. As a real-world example, people who work a 40-hour week (without overtime, or taking work home, or similar things) have about a 36% time commitment. And that's without adding in religious obligations (going to church, Wednesday night prayer meetings, whatever their particular church/synagogue/temple requires). So a 90% committent is equivalent of an 80 hour week plus. (this is using 16 hours/day as your "time", not 24 hours/day...)

RR
- Richelieu