Re: Contest minutiae.

From: Jonas Schiött <jonas.schiott_at_...>
Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2000 10:53:15 +0200

Alex Ferguson 00-06-01 02.51

>> >how should one go about determining the abilities
>> >used to determine the APs? Should it be the abilities used in the first
>> >exchange?
>>
>> Yes.
>
>No. ;-) (That's a reasonable rule of thumb, perhaps, but not to the
>point of flouting common sense.)

Let's consider some hypothetical situations:

  1. A is firing missiles at B, B is just trying to get the hell out of there. A bases AP on Ranged Combat, B on whatever ability he's using to escape.
  2. A is firing missiles at B, B is closing to melee range. A as before. B resists the ranged attack with whatever seems appropriate, but AP are based on Close Combat since the stated intention as the contest starts is "I want to fight him up close".
  3. A fires missiles at B from an ambush, B is totally surprised. A as before. B gets AP based on Tough or whatever else he can come up with to resist a surprise attack, and is stuck with that for the remainder of the contest even if he manages to switch to a better ability.

I'm fairly certain that 1) and 3) are in accordance with the rules, it's 2) I'm not sure about.

>these days? If you bump into 'Johan' Hughes, tell him I said 'hi!',

Who?

Jonas Schiött
The Cut-Ups Project

Bright indications singe