Re: Re: Starting a new website - Issaries fan policy a problem?

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 13:10:35 +0100 (BST)

> Sarah - let me add, we have absolutely no interest
> in vetting every
> update to your website once you've put up the FPP
> link. Just don't do
> something silly like sell unauthorized Gloranthan
> publications from
> your site or allow downloads of bootleg Gloranthan
> publications ...

Even having read this, I still had an uneasy feeling.

If you quote more than 250 words of Issaries material (yes, I do), then you need a formal licence. Which is not hard to get.

But I now go back and read that licence, it says:

"Licensee agrees not to display any additional Proprietary Material, including material derived from or incorporating Proprietary Material, on Licensee�s website, except with the express, written approval of Issaries."

It's that "derived from" bit. The definition is a bit hard to follow, but if you use any named people or places, it's probably "derived". Better explanations of this part would be very welcome! All I've been adding since I got licenced is game chronicles and stories that are so far from Gloranthan normality that they don't count, but if I was working on anything more main-stream, I'd have to get it vetted.

Sarah, if you can get away with an informal licence, not a "formal" one, you're fine. If you need a formal licence, it's easy to get unless as Jeff says you're doing something obviously, stupidly, illegal. But once you've got it, there are limits.

All New Yahoo! Mail � Tired of Vi_at_gr@! come-ons? Let our SpamGuard protect you. http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html