Re: Magi's Magic

From: paul_at_...
Date: Tue, 08 Aug 2006 10:11:50 +0100

metcalph_at_... wrote:
> At 07:36 p.m. 8/08/2006, you wrote:

> >Glorantha:IttHW describes the Magi as Wizards but states that their
> >magic does not include sorcery (p120). If there is a contradiction
> >between the two books it is that G:IttHW describes magi as belonging
> >to their own school.
>
> Glorantha: Intro wasn't using "wizards" in the HeroQuest rules sense
> and the ILH-1 is in error here.

This is the rules list so the point is to work out how best to represent the Magi in terms of the current rules. Since the Magi use magic, and appear to be derived from monotheist traditions Wizardry looks like the best fit. (Animism and Theism appear to be wrong and even if we had mysticism rules, the Magi don't appear to be mystics from the material I've seen).

So far as I can see the best option at the present time is to treat the Magi as Wizards and to try to reflect their non-use of sorcery in the spells available to them.

If you have a better suggestion - and that means a constructive idea about how to handle Magi under current HQ rules - then I suggest that you make it. Just saying that ILH-1 is wrong is not really helpful.