Re: Magic in the East : Mysticism, Dream Magic, Dragon Magic

From: Philippe Sigaud <sigaud_at_...>
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2006 16:13:48 +0200

Mike:
> There are two basic techniques involved.
> - The Complicated Method - [snipped, "you create structure")
Yeah, that also my vision. And the fact that Animism is more or less an application of the generic relationships rules, and the Invisible God Veneration is an application of the Communauty rules (with the churches and prayers and such).
And the big grouping seem to be '3 HP/+1' skills.

Now that I think of it, is there any other interesting rulesbits you could base a magic upon? Maybe no useful in game, but it could be aesthetically pleasing :)

> This is the key - coming up with this structure. Once you've decided on some
> sort of packages, often you can simply use something identical to one of the
> other methods to enumerate it. Sure they're called Koans or something, but
> they work just like grimoires, mechanically. The structure of the format is
> often less important than the abiliities that back the framework. In fact,
> sometimes you won't be able to see a framework or structure at all, in which
> case...

The HW Mysticism rules were not done under this (HQ) structure. Just three abilities you could use as any other and which _also_ coudl be use as anti-magic against the other kinds. So basically a no-magic magic.

> - The Easy Method - just do all magic like "Natural Magic." Or, more simply
> put, just buy abilities one at a time like they were mundane abilities. Oh,
> sure, still have the relationships and mundane skills you think make sense
> in the keyword. But for the magic, just have a list of "mystical abilities"
> or whatever you want to call them.
>
> In fact, there's a strong argument that could be made that the structures of
> the magic systems that exist now are overkill, and not really neccessary. I
> like them, but then I like complexity.

In HQ, I like the new explanations, but personnaly dislike the rigidity of the magic rules. All these levels of powers and specific tests to go from one to another, they contrast with the more flowing mindset of the general rules.

> OK, simple set up, we have the three books, each with chants that can put
> the user in a state of mind where he realizes the illusionary nature of the
> world, and is thus able to do what he wants uninhibited by the false laws of
> the world.
>
> *Chants of the Body
> - - Cease Breathing
> - - Ignore Wound
> - - Leave Body
> - - Pass Through Object
> - - Waking Sleep
> - - Hear Across Miles
>
> *Chants of the World
> - - See True Reality
> - - Weighs Nothing
> etc.
>
> *Chants of the Mind
> - - The Clear Mind
> - - See Fallacy of Other Cult
> - - Chant Without Chanting
> etc.
>
> You get the idea.

I like the way you think, Mike!

> Then I'd use the wizardry rules, complete with the ability
> Know Founder. Or maybe, if I see the chants from each book as being closely
> related, I could have them work like affinities (with less dedicated
> "initiates" gaining only the "base chants.") The otherworld entry ability
> would be "Exit Illusion" or something. "See True Reality" could be the magic
> sight ability instead of a chant above. You get the idea.
Indeed. I guess some of the questions that need answers at the beginning of such a process are:

FWIW, I'd treat martial arts the way you do. The same for Immanent Mastery (the guys who can tranform into dragons).

For dream magic, I'd use the Animism rules : you know how to go into the Dream World, hunt dream creatures (your own or others') and you can bring them back. Do not try to go into foreign dreams for there be Nightmares.

And true 'do nothing, aim for nothin, do not aim for nothing' Mysticism, I guess a simple 'Stillness/Unbeing' ability si enough. Try to affect the world near a Unrealizing Sage and you have to prove your value against his might.

  Philippe

  Philippe