Re: Shamans : from HW to HQ

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2006 13:05:50 +0100 (BST)

> I'd personally go for a more explicit description of
> the ability than "friend to ..." the spirit. This
> might be 'cause I'm shallow and don't miss my
> friends
> much when they're not around and we seem to be able
> pick up again where we left off 10 years previously
> as if nothing's happened.

Yes, the relationship with a spirit you're in constant mental contact with possibly needs a different word.

> On a related note, I tend to use relationships to
> describe how A influences B and another ability to
> describe how B influences A. This makes it a lot
> easier to model asymetric relationships - just
> because
> I can call on B to do my dirty work doesn't mean B
> can call on me.

Very true! I've been toying with this idea for ages. You may even have two entirely different relationships with the same person: "obey tribal king" and "bully husband for his own good" could quite easily be the same person at different times.

> I'm also in favour of binning the concept of
> relationships being different from other abilities,
> but that's a different story.

They're different? I never realised that. What's the difference?