RE: Re: My AP problems

From: Richard Develyn <Richard.Develyn_at_...>
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2000 15:15:30 +0100

From: Ross McPhee [mailto:ross_at_...]

>>>Raiders of the Lost Ark. Arab swordsman
>> Oddly enough I think your example supports my point.
>>
>> If the Arab is first actor

>He wasn't necessarily. If he was, he blew his first action trying to
>enhance his Close Combat (Sword) with Flashy Swordplay.

In HW, chances are it wouldn't have mattered if he had blewn it, he'd have probably still won just because he was first actor.

For example: give Indy 5w2 gun. Give the arab 17 Flashy Swordplay, 5w sword and 5w dodge, and Indy 6 flashy anything ('cos he's ill).

If Indy is first actor he pulls out the gun and shoots him. APs are 45 Indy, 25 Arab. One or two shots should do it.

If Arab is first actor, he tries the Flashy sword play, then switches to sword. APs are Indy 6, Arab 17. Indy can at most gamble 6 APs per bullet shot (switching action), whereas the Arab with his sword can gamble 17. Even if the Arab hands over APs on the first encounter, unless he hands over *lots* allowing Indy to make his bullets worth more than 6, the odds are still that he'll win it.

(Sorry to go on about this, but I can't escape the feeling that this is a really important thing to sort out).

If you have an ability which most people are only going to resist with default level 6, it doesn't matter how useles you are at anything else or how good your opponent is at anything else, if you get to be first actor and gamble 6 APs the chances are that you'll take your opponent out first round, and even if you fail as long as you haven't failed too badly you'll probably take them out the next round.

Richard